No, it is not.
Let's break down the equation:
» Believe no God = No belief in God
» (Yes) Believe No God = (No) Belief God
» (Yes) Belief = (No) Belief
» Yes = No
Obviously, it is illogical. One can't dismiss this as "purely semantics". It is actually indicating a subtle, yet critical issue.
The difference is the level of assertion.
Not having a belief is not accepting a claim as true. If one actively believed there was no god, that would be accepting a claim as true. One who lacks a belief is waiting to find out what's actually true.
It is the difference between Innocent, Not Guilty and Guilty.
It is the difference between Positive, Neutral and Negative.
It is the difference between Confirmed, Pending and Falsified.
Consider the question of whether there's an even number or odd number of stars in the universe. If a person claims that there's an odd number of stars, we wouldn't believe that person's claim, due to lack of evidence. That, however, is not an assertion that there's an even number of stars in the universe. We can reject both claims as unsupported, and the status of the question is "unknown".
To say that not believing in a god is the same as believe there are no gods, is like saying that not believing there's an odd number of stars in the universe is the same as believing there's an even number.
Many atheists are "neutral", in that they are not necessarily accepting that a god absolutely does not exist, but rather are waiting for theists to demonstrate their claims, using the scientific method, preferably.
Colloquially, most people think of this position as "agnostic", but in fact, it is both. In short, agnosticism deals with what is knowable, and atheism deals with what's believed. Most self-described atheists describe themselves as "agnostic atheist".
- Can you prove that love exists?
- Why do you get irritated or angry when we cite Bible or Qu'ran verses to you?
- What is the point of living without an afterlife or god?
- Are you afraid of going to hell?
- Why do atheists support gays so much?
- Why don't you just sit down and shut up, and let others have their beliefs?
- Where does the meaning, and purpose of life come from?
- Where to do you go when you die?
- Do atheists have faith?
- Do you believe in a soul or spirit?
- Why did you choose to be an atheist?
- If you think we're just animals, why not act like it?
- Have you tried to believe in God?
- What do you base your beliefs from?
- What is in it for me to be an atheist?
- Do atheists want to take religious freedom from Christians?
- Isn't it hypocritical for an atheist to celebrate Christmas, a Christian Holiday?
- Would you worship god to avoid going to hell?
- How can you have justice without God?
- Why don't you believe in God?
- What would it take to prove that Jesus existed?
- Do atheists believe in prayer?
- Why don't you believe the Bible?
- How can you dismiss the Bible/Koran if you haven't read it?
- Why don't atheists believe in Near-Death or Out-of-Body Experiences?
- How are things beautiful without God?
- Why are atheists vocal about their atheism?
- Why do some atheists get offended when I say "I'll pray for you"
- Do you only believe in what you can see, touch, feel, etc?
- Aren't you just rebelling against God because you want to sin?
- Don't atheists believe there is no god?
- Why do you ignore all the evidence around you for a god?
- Are atheists empty, unhappy people?
- Do atheists believe in nothing?
- Why are you so closed minded?
- Will you admit that there is a possibility of a god?
- What bad experience made you hate god?
- If you don't worship God, do you worship yourselves?
- Why are atheists so angry?
- Why do you ignore god?
- Are you an atheist because of Evolution?
- Did atheism cause Stalin to murder?
- Isn't "believing that God doesn't exist" the same thing as "not believing in God"?
- What is the difference between an agnostic and an atheist?
- What is faith?
- What is an agnostic?
- Is atheism a religion?
- What is an atheist?
- Why call yourself an atheist? No one calls themselves a-Santa-Claus-ists.
- Is secularism the same as atheism?
Addressing argument and debate
- Where does morality come from, if not God?
- If there is no god, how do you explain _______?
- If it wasn't God, who created the universe?
- Can you prove that God doesn't exist?
- What if you are wrong?
- Do you believe all this came about by random chance or by accident?
- What would it take to prove to you that a god exists?
- Where do you think rights come from, if not God?
- Wouldn't it be safer to just believe than risk going to hell?
- Why don't atheists find Biblical prophecy convincing?
- Don't you know that you're just supposed to have faith?
- How do you know you are right?
- Don't you have to be skeptical about skepticism?
- Doesn't you being so against God prove he exists?
- What is your evidence that atheism is true and accurate?
- How can anyone deny the reality of God when they see a baby?
- Why do atheists have faith in science?
- Isn't it arrogant to say that science has all the answers?
- Would you believe the Bible if it predicted scientific facts?