No, it is not.
Let's break down the equation:
» Believe no God = No belief in God
» (Yes) Believe No God = (No) Belief God
» (Yes) Belief = (No) Belief
» Yes = No
Obviously, it is illogical. One can't dismiss this as "purely semantics". It is actually indicating a subtle, yet critical issue.
The difference is the level of assertion.
Not having a belief is not accepting a claim as true. If one actively believed there was no god, that would be accepting a claim as true. One who lacks a belief is waiting to find out what's actually true.
It is the difference between Innocent, Not Guilty and Guilty.
It is the difference between Positive, Neutral and Negative.
It is the difference between Confirmed, Pending and Falsified.
Consider the question of whether there's an even number or odd number of stars in the universe. If a person claims that there's an odd number of stars, we wouldn't believe that person's claim, due to lack of evidence. That, however, is not an assertion that there's an even number of stars in the universe. We can reject both claims as unsupported, and the status of the question is "unknown".
To say that not believing in a god is the same as believe there are no gods, is like saying that not believing there's an odd number of stars in the universe is the same as believing there's an even number.
Many atheists are "neutral", in that they are not necessarily accepting that a god absolutely does not exist, but rather are waiting for theists to demonstrate their claims, using the scientific method, preferably.
Colloquially, most people think of this position as "agnostic", but in fact, it is both. In short, agnosticism deals with what is knowable, and atheism deals with what's believed. Most self-described atheists describe themselves as "agnostic atheist".
- Are you afraid of going to hell?
- Why do atheists support gays so much?
- What is the point of living without an afterlife or god?
- Where does the meaning, and purpose of life come from?
- Do atheists have faith?
- Where to do you go when you die?
- Why don't you just sit down and shut up, and let others have their beliefs?
- Have you tried to believe in God?
- Do you believe in a soul or spirit?
- Why did you choose to be an atheist?
- What is in it for me to be an atheist?
- Do atheists want to take religious freedom from Christians?
- What do you base your beliefs from?
- Why do you ignore god?
- Why do you get irritated or angry when we cite Bible or Qu'ran verses to you?
- Why don't you believe the Bible?
- Would you worship god to avoid going to hell?
- Why don't you believe in God?
- If you think we're just animals, why not act like it?
- How can you have justice without God?
- Can you prove that love exists?
- What would it take to prove that Jesus existed?
- Isn't it hypocritical for an atheist to celebrate Christmas, a Christian Holiday?
- Do atheists believe in prayer?
- Do you only believe in what you can see, touch, feel, etc?
- Why do you ignore all the evidence around you for a god?
- Do atheists believe in nothing?
- Why are you so closed minded?
- Will you admit that there is a possibility of a god?
- Are atheists empty, unhappy people?
- Why do atheists have faith in science?
- Aren't you just rebelling against God because you want to sin?
- What bad experience made you hate god?
- Why are atheists so angry?
- Isn't it arrogant to say that science has all the answers?
- Don't atheists believe there is no god?
- If you don't worship God, do you worship yourselves?
- Are you an atheist because of Evolution?
- Isn't "believing that God doesn't exist" the same thing as "not believing in God"?
- What is faith?
- Is atheism a religion?
- What is the difference between an agnostic and an atheist?
- What is an agnostic?
- What is an atheist?
- Why call yourself an atheist? No one calls themselves a-Santa-Claus-ists.
- Is secularism the same as atheism?
Addressing argument and debate
- Where does morality come from, if not God?
- If it wasn't God, who created the universe?
- If there is no god, how do you explain _______?
- What if you are wrong?
- Can you prove that God doesn't exist?
- What would it take to prove to you that a god exists?
- Do you believe all this came about by random chance or by accident?
- Wouldn't it be safer to just believe than risk going to hell?
- Doesn't you being so against God prove he exists?
- Where do you think rights come from, if not God?
- How do you know you are right?
- Don't you know that you're just supposed to have faith?
- Don't you have to be skeptical about skepticism?
- What is your evidence that atheism is true and accurate?
- How can anyone deny the reality of God when they see a baby?