No, it is not.
Let's break down the equation:
» Believe no God = No belief in God
» (Yes) Believe No God = (No) Belief God
» (Yes) Belief = (No) Belief
» Yes = No
Obviously, it is illogical. One can't dismiss this as "purely semantics". It is actually indicating a subtle, yet critical issue.
The difference is the level of assertion.
Not having a belief is not accepting a claim as true. If one actively believed there was no god, that would be accepting a claim as true. One who lacks a belief is waiting to find out what's actually true.
It is the difference between Innocent, Not Guilty and Guilty.
It is the difference between Positive, Neutral and Negative.
It is the difference between Confirmed, Pending and Falsified.
Many atheists are "neutral", in that they are not necessarily accepting that a god absolutely does not exist, but rather are waiting for theists to demonstrate their claims, using the scientific method, preferably.
Colloquially, most people think of this position as "agnostic", but in fact, it is both. In short, agnosticism deals with what is knowable, and atheism deals with what's believed. Most self-described atheists describe themselves as "agnostic atheist".
- Isn't "believing that God doesn't exist" the same thing as "not believing in God"?
- Do you only believe in what you can see, touch, feel, etc?
- Why do you ignore all the evidence around you for a god?
- Where does morality come from, if not God?
- Why do atheists support gays so much?
- Do atheists believe in nothing?
- If it wasn't God, who created the universe?
- Are you afraid of going to hell?
- What is the point of living without an afterlife or god?
- Why are you so closed minded?
- What if you are wrong?
- Can you prove that God doesn't exist?
- Will you admit that there is a possibility of a god?
- Where does the meaning, and purpose of life come from?
- Do atheists have faith?
- If there is no god, how do you explain _______?
- Why do atheists have faith in science?
- Are atheists empty, unhappy people?
- Where to do you go when you die?
- What bad experience made you hate god?
- What would it take to prove to you that a god exists?
- Do you believe all this came about by random chance or by accident?
- Aren't you just rebelling against God because you want to sin?
- Why don't you just sit down and shut up, and let others have their beliefs?
- Wouldn't it be safer to just believe than risk going to hell?
- Why are atheists so angry?
- What is faith?
- Have you tried to believe in God?
- Isn't it arrogant to say that science has all the answers?
- Why did you choose to be an atheist?
- Doesn't you being so against God prove he exists?
- Is atheism a religion?
- Where do you think rights come from, if not God?
- Do you believe in a soul or spirit?
- If you don't worship God, do you worship yourselves?
- Don't atheists believe there is no god?
- Do atheists want to take religious freedom from Christians?
- How do you know you are right?
- What is in it for me to be an atheist?
- What is an agnostic?
- What is the difference between an agnostic and an atheist?
- Don't you have to be skeptical about skepticism?
- Don't you know that you're just supposed to have faith?
- What do you base your beliefs from?
- Why do you ignore god?
- What is an atheist?