No, it is not.
Let's break down the equation:
» Believe no God = No belief in God
» (Yes) Believe No God = (No) Belief God
» (Yes) Belief = (No) Belief
» Yes = No
Obviously, it is illogical. One can't dismiss this as "purely semantics". It is actually indicating a subtle, yet critical issue.
The difference is the level of assertion.
Not having a belief is not accepting a claim as true. If one actively believed there was no god, that would be accepting a claim as true. One who lacks a belief is waiting to find out what's actually true.
It is the difference between Innocent, Not Guilty and Guilty.
It is the difference between Positive, Neutral and Negative.
It is the difference between Confirmed, Pending and Falsified.
Many atheists are "neutral", in that they are not necessarily accepting that a god absolutely does not exist, but rather are waiting for theists to demonstrate their claims, using the scientific method, preferably.
Colloquially, most people think of this position as "agnostic", but in fact, it is both. In short, agnosticism deals with what is knowable, and atheism deals with what's believed. Most self-described atheists describe themselves as "agnostic atheist".
- Are you afraid of going to hell?
- Why do atheists support gays so much?
- What is the point of living without an afterlife or god?
- Where does the meaning, and purpose of life come from?
- Do atheists have faith?
- Where to do you go when you die?
- Why don't you just sit down and shut up, and let others have their beliefs?
- Have you tried to believe in God?
- Why did you choose to be an atheist?
- Do you believe in a soul or spirit?
- Do atheists want to take religious freedom from Christians?
- What is in it for me to be an atheist?
- What do you base your beliefs from?
- Why do you ignore god?
- Why do you get irritated or angry when we cite Bible or Qu'ran verses to you?
- Why don't you believe the Bible?
- Do you only believe in what you can see, touch, feel, etc?
- Why do you ignore all the evidence around you for a god?
- Do atheists believe in nothing?
- Why are you so closed minded?
- Will you admit that there is a possibility of a god?
- Why do atheists have faith in science?
- Are atheists empty, unhappy people?
- What bad experience made you hate god?
- Aren't you just rebelling against God because you want to sin?
- Why are atheists so angry?
- Isn't it arrogant to say that science has all the answers?
- Don't atheists believe there is no god?
- If you don't worship God, do you worship yourselves?
- Are you an atheist because of Evolution?
- Isn't "believing that God doesn't exist" the same thing as "not believing in God"?
- What is faith?
- Is atheism a religion?
- What is an agnostic?
- What is the difference between an agnostic and an atheist?
- What is an atheist?
- Why call yourself an atheist? No one calls themselves a-Santa-Claus-ists.
Addressing argument and debate
- Where does morality come from, if not God?
- If it wasn't God, who created the universe?
- What if you are wrong?
- Can you prove that God doesn't exist?
- If there is no god, how do you explain _______?
- What would it take to prove to you that a god exists?
- Do you believe all this came about by random chance or by accident?
- Wouldn't it be safer to just believe than risk going to hell?
- Doesn't you being so against God prove he exists?
- Where do you think rights come from, if not God?
- How do you know you are right?
- Don't you have to be skeptical about skepticism?
- Don't you know that you're just supposed to have faith?
- What is your evidence that atheism is true and accurate?